Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an Ethan desk made in England - believed to be made

Customer Question
I have an Ethan Allen...
I have an Ethan Allen desk made in England - believed to be made in the late 1800's.
Green leather top embossed with gold scroll, dovetail drawers, and carved scroll work through out. I have photos.
It is in very good condition as it has rarely been moved. There a few scrapes on the leather and usage marks on the front edge above the middle drawer.
I am interested in learning the type of style it is called, the history of Ethan Allen making this type of furniture, and of course, the value.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me at least one photo of the desk. If there are any labels, please send a photo of that using the macro function of your camera.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Please know that the Ethan Allen furniture division was established in 1939.

If you desk is truly made by the Ethan Allen furniture co, it would have been made after then.

I was also unable to find that the firm ever had a factory in England. It had showrooms in England but no information about a factory there.

See the history of the company here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethan_Allen_(furniture_company)

I look forward to receiving your photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I read that history and wondered how this came to be.I will try the photos again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started researching this a few weeks ago and read through much of the Ethan Allen furniture information on the web, but nothing shows up about this
image.jpgimage.jpgIMG_0555.JPGIMG_0555.JPGIMG_0557.JPGIMG_0557.JPGIMG_0556.JPGIMG_0556.JPGIMG_0001.JPGIMG_0001.JPGIMG_1651.JPGIMG_1651.JPGimage.jpgimage.jpg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Were you able to open the photos?

Yes.

It could be Ethan Allen had a factory in England for a brief period but I still do not date the piece late 19thC. Ethan Allen copied 18thC American styles which copied English styles of the same period. That is why the desk looks so old.

Why do you think it is late 19thC (ie, late 1800s)?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was simply going by the style. Here is an article you may be interested in. Not that it answers my question, but it does goes another part of Ethan Allen history overseas. Thank you for trying though. I will give you a good rating for trying; but, I hope you understand why I will be asking for a refund. I am putting you in my favorites and will submit another piece of furniture to you tomorrow, late afternoon, when I get home. Have a good evening

Understood.

I did not receive the link to the history of Ethan Allen overseas.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry let me try again... https://books.google.com/books?id=H84WAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT57&lpg=PT57&dq=when+did+ethan+allen+manufacture+furniture+in+england&source=bl&ots=eA2jfgSEWp&sig=6F3XsoUZFjBoOZGhQwSyMKutpYc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7k9PPu8LPAhXDeD4KHT4VAv8Q6AEIXTAI#v=onepage&q=when%20did%20ethan%20allen%20manufacture%20furniture%20in%20england&f=false

I really see nothing here that confirms a plant in England in late 1800s.

As I read it, they seem to have manufactured in many venues around the world but after 2000 when Markor became affiliated with Ethan Allen.

Respectfully,

Doris

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur