Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Second opinion] - I recently purchased a large 241/2x18 and

Customer Question
Second opinion] - hi!!! I...
Second opinion] - hi!!! I recently purchased a large 241/2x18 reed and barton sterling platter.the hallmarks are a bird,an r in a shield and a lion.below that,there are the numbers 750/87 and finally below that is a tny starmin a circle!!! it weighs 71/2 lbs!!!! can you help me w/ an explanation of these??!!!! and it's value too if you can!!!! thank you,tinker white
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: there are a few pit marks,but very tiny!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the tray and any marks, labels or writing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay!!!!
IMG_0478.JPGIMG_0478.JPGIMG_0481 (1).JPGIMG_048...JPGIMG_0486 (1).JPGIMG_048...JPGIMG_0488 (1).JPGIMG_048...JPGIMG_0496.JPGIMG_0496.JPG

Oops!! This is a not a silver tray, I think you chose the wrong photos.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this obviously not about a tray but rather a MAY STEVENS drawing...I would like to know it's worth,and how to sell it.thank you TINKER WHITE
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had sent in a question about the drawing,but it must have gotten lost somehow!!!!!

May Stevens (born 1924) is a New York, Massachusetts

artist known for painting and drawing political and feminist issues.

This piece has a value of $500 to $700 based on recent sales of her work.

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

The silver tray, based on what you described, is a Reed and Barton sterling tray in pattern 750/87. This pattern is called Puritan and also has been called Pointed Antique. The star in a circle is the date code for 1946. This tray has a weight of 108.7 troy ounces (this is how silver is weighed rather than in pounds). The value of this tray is $4700 to $5000 retail.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you very much,i thought the drawing would have been worth more,oh well!!!! thanks again!!!!

You are so welcome.
If you have another item, just start a new question and put 'forCustomeronly no other appraisers' in the beginning to get me again.
I specialize in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, jewelry and just about everything else.
You never know what you might have!

Good feedback is important here as it is on Ebay, so please do click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

I just found this reference that might also help with your tray.

http://www.beverlybremer.com/item/holloware/Trays,+Cream+&+Sugar_Trays,+Gallery_Trays,+Oval_Trays,+Relish_Trays,+Round_Trays,+Salver_Trays,+Sandwich_Trays,+Serving_Trays,+Waiter_platters/48187/Pointed+Antique+by+Reed+%26+Barton+%23750-87+WAITER

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.

Rarewares
Rarewares