Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Dueber antique pocketwatch, circa 1894. My question

Customer Question

I have a Dueber antique pocketwatch, circa 1894. My question is this—and I will send links to photos—the case 14K gold-filled or 14K solid? The evidence I've gathered still leaves it up in the air, and I'm looking for a definitive answer.
Part of the problem is that the book "Complete Guide to Watches" (Shugart) shows Dueber's solid gold markings, as well as their gold-filled markings, but never addresses a seeming hybrid of the two. In other words, the Deuber anchor & serpent mark seems to be most often associated with gold-filled. Likewise, the term "Special" also seems to be most often associated with gold-filled. But does this rule out production of Dueber 14K solid cases with both the "Special" designation and anchor & serpent mark? The U.S. had strict laws about marking something 14K without qualifying it (e.g., "14K gold-filled," "14K filled," 14K filled, 25years," etc.). Opinions clash on the pocketwatch forums about an answer to this. The closest I could get to an answer is that one owner of such a watch—a Dueber 14K Special case with the anchor & serpent mark—said that he melted one down to scrap and it was definitively 14K solid. He even chided those making the assumption that the Dueber anchor & serpent mark and "Special" branding meant that it was by definition gold-filled—even those with the unqualified "14K" marks. Please help me (and others) put a definitive end to this debate! Did Dueber produce solid 14K cases under the "Special" designation and anchor & serpent mark, circa 1894? Thanks! Here are links to photos of my watch, as well as the research I've been able to gather:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/viewimage.x/00000000/hessfineart/MMM092716BCD4.jpg?vvid=57606508&allow_mailing_list=1&allow_track_link=1&track=027fbacff1-c69bc&sp=0&vsid=1&vgp=1&vimgs=MMM092716BCD3.jpg,MMM092716EFG.jpg,MMM092716BCD5.jpg,MMM092716BCD6.jpg,MMM092716BCD7.jpg,MMM092716BCD1.jpg,MMM092716BCD9.jpg,MMM092716BCD4.jpg,MMM092716BCD8.jpg,MMM092716BCD11.jpg,MMM092716BCDE.jpg
http://mb.nawcc.org/showwiki.php?title=Dueber_Watch_Case_Manufacturing_Co
http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?75265-Dueber-Hunting-Case-Gold-or-Gold-Filled
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

You need to have this watch appraised by an Estate Jewelry / Watch Appraiser in person. If you like I can help you get a list of appraisers in your area.

Glenda

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi, Glenda — What I hear you saying is that in my case, it would really be better to have my question answered by someone who can evaluate the piece in person, is that correct? If so, that's fine. Thanks, Glenda.- Dave

Dave
Yes, you seem to have a nice, rather rare watch. It needs to be looked at in person.

.

I would look for an Estate Jeweler, they are the best. They can test the gold for you, they can look at the condition, also the condition on the works. Give you a value.

.

You should be able to locate and Estate Jeweler in your area or if you are not in a large city, try a large city close to you.

Glenda