Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have a 12 piece tea set- cups, saucers, cream & sugar

Customer Question

We have a 12 piece tea set- cups , saucers, cream & sugar bowls plus 2 serving plates, made by noritake in Japan around 1926. The scene has a Japanese lady design. Could you tell us is it worth anything before we gift it away. Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom. Also, please send a photo of the pattern.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the tea set has been packed for transfer to our new address so we are unable to send any further information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will have to continue with the search when we have moved, we will contact you again & get a more definitive answer at that time. I agree to pay the $5 for your time now
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Let me see what I can do with your written description.

I should be back within 30 minutes.

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are just verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

These are the retail value ranges per piece and in USA dollars.

Cup & saucer 35-40

Creamer 45-55

Sugar 50-60

Serving plates 70-85

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris