LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have a Bela Birkas oil painting. It is called the sorcery

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Bela Birkas oil painting. It is called the sorcery hand and is tachiste in style. It was done in France in 1968. Would like to know what it values. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

What is the approximate size and is it signed and inscribed on the backside as well?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
4'.8" L x 3' w , it is signed at bottom right. Purchased from an elderly man who said he saw Bela Birkas at an art exhibition, met, and purched a painting from the artist directly. He gave me name of the painting and year he purchased it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here are some pics.
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

There is only one listed artist with the last name Birkas and that is Akos Birkas; is it possible you may have the incorrect first name for the artist?

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I am sure. Here is a pic of a search I did, the artist came up on this site
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found also another resource and also found recent works done by the artist from the 70s before he past. I'll see if I can find them.
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Yes, please send the links you have found referencing Bela Birkas.

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://bela-birkas.artworkdatabase.com/
Expert:  Nora replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the link, I have not found sale comparables, so I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
http://artportal.hu/lexikon/muveszek/birkas-bela-6999
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This website is in a different language but my phone traslated for me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can we chat some more tomorrow? Will I still have the ability to contact you? Or is this a one shot deal? First time using the service.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still waiting for someone to get back to me
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Here is what I have found on the artist :

Hungarian, 20th century, male.

Active in the USA and in France.

Born 1929, in Pápa; died 1973, in Paris. He was a great well known Painter.

Béla Birkás emigrated to the USA in 1956 and went to study at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. In 1962 he moved to Paris. Birkás' early work was Tachiste, emphasizing gestural violence. From 1967 he evolved towards a calm abstract style using many different colors and lightning his works.

The size of painting you have- the value in todays market is###-##-####00 It looks to be in great condition and realistically in the economy the price to sell would be between 600-750.00 If you could hold on to this piece the value would rise with time. I would suggest to find a frame complimenting the painting and frame it for protection. Thank you for sharing.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What site would I be able to sell something like this on?

I would say etsy.com goantiques.com

the link below is an article on selling art whether you are a buyer, seller or collector.

It will list a few sites also:

http://theabundantartist.com/15-ways-to-sell-your-art-online/

If I may help further please let me know I am always happy to help.

Hello please let me know if I may be of further service and if I have answered all of your questions on this item please take a moment to rate my service as this is how I ma paid from the site for my work by your rating. It does not cost you anything more it is just how I am paid for my work.