Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

A friend of mine found a very old Japanese painting in her

Customer Question

A friend of mine found a very old Japanese painting in her mothers house. The painting is on a scroll that is in a handmade wooden box. The inside of the box lid says in Japanese "Fuji Mountain after rain" and "1918" and "by K.Suda". It seems it was given as a gift because it is inscribed to who got the gift and who gave it away as a gift on the date Dec. 25 1930. The Japanese wrighting as the English translation next to it. The painting is on some kind of old paper on a scroll with a fancy fabroc boarder. It is of the Fuji Mointain with two Japanese people in a canoe headed towards a rice field. (I assume it's a rice field). It is about 8 feet long and maybe 15 inches wide. Any info would help. Thanks Matt
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

What are you wanting to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking for any information you have or can find. Information about the artist. Information about that painting. Is their others like it?Is it valuable?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

There is no information on the painter, the Asian Painters did not keep recorded information like the US Artist do. There is very little information on any Asian Artist, unless they become very famous and very few have.

.

To answer you, the painting is a 1930's hand painted on cream-colored paper, then mounted silk, then mounted to cream silk with a composite end roller. There are many more like this. I am not sure if this exact painting is out there but there are many of this style painting scrolls. This was a very popular item in Japan and China during the early part up to the mid 20th C. They all come in the wooden boxes.

I can value this, I just cannot give you information about the artist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for giving me that information! I would I go about getting a value of it?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.
.
The Vintage Hand Painted Scroll, with original box, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $500.00-650.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda