Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

What is the value of a 17th century Antionette Doll? It is

Customer Question

What is the value of a 17th century Maria Antionette Doll? It is from France passed
down in my family to all Elizabeth. I have a family history to show the past women
who have owned it until me?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a picture and I can mail it to you or see if I can have someone else send it to you
but it is not on my computer. I am not a computer person so tomorrow I will try to find someone
who can do this. I have the doll and have had it for over 60 years when my grandfather gave it to
me from his wife the last Elizabeth to own it. If you give me an address I will mail it tomorrow.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You can send images over at your convenience, there is not a time limit here.

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to get someone over here who can get this picture on the computer so I can e mail it to you,
thank you for your help. Liz
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Great, thanks Liz! I look forward to seeing your heirloom doll.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi NoraI am e mailing a photo to you at the support address you gave me, It has taken me a few days and I had to
have my friend Amy to scan it and e mail it to me so I can send it to you. I hope to get a reply from you about the value, Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for letting me know that you have emailed images. I will certainly let you know when they have arrived to me.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I received the image of your doll, thank you. Is the body porcelain as well or just the head? Do the eyes open and close - I cannot tell by the photo, however I presume no?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again
The body is porcelain and the arms and legs will move back and forth. The face is painted and very delicate.
It has been along time since I had her dress off but as well as I can remember it seems to have something that
lets the arms and legs move but I don't know what.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. This is actually a 19th century (1800's) jointed bisque porcelain miniature doll house doll. If it were 17th century (1600's) it would not have been made of porcelain nor jointed. 18th century dolls (1700's) were made of a papier mache type material and the late 18th century dolls were of a different construction to the face and style. A Marie Antoinette lived from 1755 - 1793, thus most dolls with a Marie Antoinette theme did not come out until the 19th century (1800's). Your antique, 19th century, miniature jointed bisque porcelain dollhouse doll would sell for $125 - $200 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora