Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Looking for an expert to date and give advise for

Customer Question

Looking for an expert to date and give advise for refinishing a roll top desk that belonged to my grandfather.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had no identifiers other than the word "Dennisson" and a number stamped. My thought is circa 1920. I have lots more photos.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

This dates to just before 1920; right about 1915, so you were very close. What did you have in mind for re-finishing, did you plan to do it yourself?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Any idea where it may have been manufactured or info about the company? There is a tag that says "Dennison" stapled inside. Yes, I will be refinishing myself. I plan to strip, sand, stain, and varnish it (I'm experienced with this in new construction, never an antique). Someone did a poor job trying once already. I will also need to replace some of the damaged veneer. Any comments/advice appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks much Nora. I look forward to your resonse.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please send an image of the Dennison tag, which was primarily an office product supply company. Also, is the roll-top tambor or solid?

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The roll top is tambour. I do not have the desk handy for a picture of the tag...rats. I'm a teacher, in school presently. :(
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

You can send the tag image at your convenience; no rush.

~Nora