Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Purchased drawing at a thrift store appears very old. Is

Customer Question
professionally framed but I can't...
Purchased drawing at a thrift store appears very old. Is professionally framed but I can't find a signature has been folded and shows wear
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/2/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Bruce, My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your interesting drawing.

Can you let me know the dimensions of the artwork (without the frame).

Also, would I be right in saying this looks like a vintage drawing in pencil on thin (& yellowing) paper that has been kept folded then unfolded and mounted in a newer frame? With a torn edge down the right side? And a small hole near the top?

If you could very kindly attach a photo of the whole picture including the frame, that would help too.

Many thanks
Robert.

Okay, great, thanks for confirming that and for the extra photo.

I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Bruce,

Before getting you too wound up into a lather of anticipation, this is not all that special, I'm afraid, and so don't book the world cruise just yet, although I wish I could tell you to!

What you have is a very competent tracing of quite a well known painting called "The Guardian Angel" or sometimes Heilige Schutzengel which is the same title in German, as the original was thought to be by a German artist. The original print was first published by Lindberg in Germany back in the late 1800s, but no-one is quite sure where he adapted it from.

The most commonly found version of the original Lindberg print (there are others) looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/KQ77QRd.jpg

The paper of your drawing is thin enough to where the shapes of a bright picture underneath would show through for tracing. The artist then added in afterwards various details that did not show through clearly enough to trace, such as the flowers and leaves in the foreground and the leaves of the trees. He/she was very faithful to the original, even copying the star above the angel's head and the ominous bolt of lightning in the sky, indicating a sudden rainstorm upstream and an imminent deluge that would surely destroy the rickety wooden bridge.

"Will the children get across in time?"

"But yes, of course, with the protection of the angel", is the mawkish but compelling Victorian narrative of the composition.

We can have no idea who did the tracing, obviously, as it's not signed, but it's the sort of thing that I can imagine was saved by a proud and impressed parent or grandparent after their talented 12 - 14 year old had completed the project.

It was carefully folded and saved, no doubt, and then fondly ***** ***** framed when the talented young artist had flown the coop and become a successful and industrious animator for Pixar, or whatever.

Whatever the story, it was clearly loved and cherished enough to be put in a good quality frame and hung on the wall.

As for value, it certainly has a decorative appeal, but it would be a hard sell getting more than $30 - $40 for it at auction or on eBay, should you ever wish to pass it on.

I wish I could tell you more, but at least it introduces you, if you haven't met already, to the perennially popular Heilige Schutzengel.

Hope this is helpful,

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.