Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an original cast iron mechanical bank I saw one

Customer Question
similar on antiques roadshow. I...
I have an original cast iron mechanical bank I saw one similar on antiques roadshow. I would like to know how much it's worth and where I could sell it possibly. I also have an Waltham broch woman's watch and an item I'm not sure what it is but it's got Hitler and a pig on it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
9/1/2016
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This bank was patented in 1883, but was not actually produced until 1907, by the J&E Stevens Company in Cromwell, Connecticut.

Yours appears to have all the original feathers, which is excellent, but it also appears to be repainted, which isn't so good.

An example with original paint in good condition would sell at auction in the $4000 - $5000 range. Repainted, it would probably be closer to $1000 - $1500.

Please let me know how I can help further.

Sincerely,

Jennfier

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No one repainted it according to my dad it's been sitting in a glass wood locking case we weren't allowed to touch it! He remembers he nor his Father were allowed to play with it either my dads pretty sure it's never been altered or repainted according to old photograph's. I told him those are black and white photo's how can u tell. Ha Ha he didn't find that amusing. I have this crazy little trinket I'm dying to find out what it is... It's got Hitler on one side and a pig on the other

On the Indian, you can see how at one point the headdress feathers deteriorated, but the paint over them is very clean and fresh--so it's clear it was repainted after that point. However, given it was made in 1907, it could have been repainted in 1920 or 1930 or some other time before your dad saw it. It was a pretty common item when it was made, so certainly would not have been in a glass case as a memorabilia item until much later.

Regarding the token, Hitler was often compared to a pig--there is a famous and collectible piggy bank that has Hitler's hair and moustache. There were also many propaganda fliers and posters that compared Hitler to a pig. That said, I've never seen this little piece before, and I'm unable to find anything specific on it. The value would be around $75-$100.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see this question is still open. Can I help you further?

Jennifer

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM