Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

We have a beautiful display hutch that we bought from a

Customer Question
couple that her mother had...
We have a beautiful display hutch that we bought from a couple that her mother had just passed. I was working at a worldwide moving company and they were moving all her belongings from the house so it could be sold. We are in dire financial situation since my husband just had neck surgery and has been off work for quite some time now.
We would like to know a value...although we have no idea the manufacturer, wood type, year of production or anything about the piece. It has beautiful curved, beveled glass in the top and bottom. The top piece is lighted. I also have a few more pictures if needed.
Dimensions are: 92" H x 68" W (split @ 44" H)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
8/30/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I am so sorry you are having such problems. I will work with you to get a value but I need a bit more information.

Could I have a photo of where the side of a drawer joins with the front of the drawer?

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are a few other pics...but I'm at work & don't have the exact one you're asking for. I can have that for you a little later this afternoon. Is there any other photos you need besides the ones I added?
20160802_151835.jpg2016080...jpg20160802_151752.jpg2016080...jpg20160802_151557.jpg2016080...jpg20160802_151535.jpg2016080...jpg

If you have one of the back, it would be helpful. It may be too heavy to move. If so, do not worry about that picture.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have one of the back & it is VERY heavy.

Then do not move, please. Do you know if it is plywood?

The drawer picture is important as it helps determine part of the age.

You can send that to me this evening.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it is...but not 100% positive.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know what kind of wood it is?

It is very hard to tell from a photo but it looks like a light mahogany.

Do you know if the original pulls have been replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't. As I said...we really know nothing about the piece. The couple we bought it from had no place for it to go due to its size & just needed it gone. She did say that her mother had had the piece for quite some time but she didn't know anything about it or where her mother had gotten it.

The front side of the drawer will tell me a lot. It may be a veneer. I like the fact that it is curved.

I see this evening when you can send the photos.

My best to you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually ALL the glass is curved...bottom & top glass. I'm trying to see if my husband is awake to get me the pictures you need. I'll let you know as soon as I have them. Thank you so much!!

There is absolutely no hurry on my end.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband just sent me a few more pictures...but some are a little blurry (don't think he knows how to focus his phone camera...lol). If you need better ones...I can send those this evening when I get home from work. But here goes....
Hutch13.jpgHutch13.jpgHutch12.jpgHutch12.jpgHutch11.jpgHutch11.jpgHutch10.jpgHutch10.jpgHutch9.jpgHutch9.jpgHutch8.jpgHutch8.jpgHutch7.jpgHutch7.jpg

Thank your husband for me but unfortunately the images are too blurred to be useful.

I know he must have spent a lot of time to take them but there is just not enough detail.

Please send clear images when you get a chance.

Again, there is no hurry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not a problem...I'll take some better ones when I get home this evening.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I so apologize. My husband was having a hard time last night...really hurting...and I did not get a chance to get you the pictures you needed. I will make sure this evening I get you the pictures you asked for. Thanks!!

Thank you.

I am sorry your husband is having such a hard time.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very upset. I haven’t been able to get the pictures you requested because I had to take my husband back to the hospital due to complications. Because of all of this...I have not actually received an appraisal for our piece. I was charged on 8/31 the FULL price on an appraisal... $58. I just want to cancel this...and get a refund. I'm completely disappointed & would like to get this handled ASAP. How do I handle this...
Again...thank you!

I am so very sorry about your husband. I can understand why you are upset.

I really cannot give you a ballpark value as there very wide difference in range in such types of pieces.

That said, you need to contact customer support.

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are just verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Should you change your mind, please know there is no hurry at my end. I am here most days.

I wish you the very best.

Kind regards,

Doris

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur