Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

We have a Capodimonte statue of two boys fishing dated 1762.

Customer Question

We have a Capodimonte statue of two boys fishing dated 1762. It is stamped made in Italy and signed. I have seen one some years younger advertised for $2000 and am looking to seel it. I can supply photos.
It has a crack in one of the boys shoulders, but is otherwise in very good condition. It does not have the gloss finish of the other one I have seen. Can you give me a rough value please. Thank you, Rod.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi Rod, my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.

I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

I hate to be the one to tell you this but if your figurine is broken / cracked then it is not going to sell very well on the current market. I will need to see the marking on the bottom of the piece to tell you the date it was made, the 1762 is the founding date of the original porcelain works in Capodimonte Italy.

Glenda

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Goodaye Glenda, photo of the bottom attached. Is this all you need? Thanks Rod.

Hello Rod

Thank you for the picture, I will do some research to see if I can find what company made this mark. They are putting Capodimonte on this because that is where the piece is made. It is a piece for the 20thC, made in Capodimonte Italy. The original Capodimonte was made in the 1700's at the Royal Capodimonte Factory, the marks on those items are much different then the marks like this one.

I will see what I can find for you.

Glenda

Hello Rod

When did you say you purchased this and did they tell you this was an antique when you did?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Goodaye Glenda, we bought it at a garage sale 4 years ago and I have attached another photo with the signature. Something came up and we decided to look at selling it and saw the other one on the net for $2000. Thanks Rod.

Rod,

After researching this, I found the mark that is on your item was used in the late 70's to early 80's the Actual Porcelain company is not known, they were in business for a short period of time, in the Capodimonte region of Italy. There are numerous companies who work out of this region and put the N on their items to imply they are the original.

.

I found that these Figurines with this mark have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $225.00-300.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. I am sorry this is not one of the Porcelain pieces from the 1700's. I always hate telling someone their items are newer then thought. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda