AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

How do I find out what the iron plaque is it the age. I've

Customer Question

How do I find out what the iron plaque is it the age. I've had it so long and I don't know where I acquired it but I'm curious to its symbolic meaning and approximate age it would have been made
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

This is a replica of a tomb or coffin cover. How big is it? Can you send a photo of the back?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm heading back home so I can take a photo of the back. It's extremely heavy but small. Maybe about 10 to twelve inches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the back. Unmarked but does have the raised spot to hang. Also took a phot near my hand for size

Unfortunately, all I can tell you is that this is a mid 20th century souvenir, from somewhere in Europe, of a tomb effigy. The figure is Gothic, but it's so generically done (with much less detail than the original), that there is no way for me to narrow down whose tomb it was, or even what country. This would be from a museum, historic house, or church gift shop.

I'm sorry I can't narrow it down for you. The value would be around $30.

Sincerely, Jennifer

I see that the question is still open. Can I help you further?