Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Please can you tell me anything about this clock? Maker,

Customer Question
year, approx value?...
Please can you tell me anything about this clock? Maker, year, approx value?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
8/19/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Kirsty,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your clock.

Could you very kindly attach photos of:

1. The brass plate at the back of the movement (the "guts" of the clock).
  2. A close-up of the dial with the dial door open.
  3. A photo of the label (if there is one) inside the pendulum door (if any).

Many thanks and wait to hear.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Robert
The person who gifted me the clock has informed me is not valuable as I expected so I do not wish continue with my enquiry in relation to the clock.
I wonder if you may be able to help me out with another family item.
This piece came to me from my mother. It belonged to her grandmother who loved in New Zealand but we do not know how it came to be in her possession.
It is very heavy.
Please can you tell me anything about it... it's year and value etc?
Kind regards *****

Sure, Kirsty, I can help you out with this one.

It's a very nice aneroid barometer mounted in wood with a decoratively carved rope edge that dates it to about 1890 - 1914, when this was a fashionable way of wall mounting a barometer.

It also has a thermometer incorporated into the dial, an unusual feature of one of these, indicating that yours was once a working ship's barometer, located on the bridge where the temperature indicated was indeed the true outside temperature, rather than merely an indoor room measurement as it would be now.

The calibrations around the outside chapter ring of the dial, namely: Stormy, Rain, Change, Fair, Very Dry are what one would see on a standard barometer (NB. these are indicators of predicted weather, rather than what is currently happening).

Around the inside are what's called "Ellery's Indicators" that add extra calibrations specifically designed for Antipodean weather and barometric pressure (which has a wider range than in the North Atlantic, say, for which most barometers are calibrated). In other words this barometer is calibrated for specific use in Australia and New Zealand. That, and the thermometer combination, make this a very rare instrument.

If you were to see it for sale in an antique store it would have a full retail price tag of AUD$1600.

Expect to get 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at a good antique auction house.

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Kirsty,

Hope you are doing okay, I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven't heard from you. If you can read this, and you feel I've answered your question about the barometer to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate my services with the stars, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put"For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Robert S.
Robert S.