Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

My husband has a vase which came from Japan. My father in

Customer Question

My husband has a vase which came from Japan. My father in law traveled there many times. We were interested in its history and value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I would like to send you a picture
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of....I don't know the year it was purchased, we can guestimate between 1950 - 1970. Do not know what region nor the price it was paid for. The signature is a little smeared. The picture on this vase has a landscape with pagoda's and a person; some metal was used . It almost looks 3D.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.

If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
.
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cannot figure out how to email you the pictures. These instructions are a joke

Hello

I am not sure I understand how they are a joke, there are options here you can chose from in order to get pictures to me. If you are simply wanting to email them then you follow the instructions for emailing the pictures.

.

Send them like this: In an Email!
.
.
.
.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is telling me to click the above button and there is no button..... that's my frustration.Prior to that it told me to cut and paste and email you and that came back as demon mail.... that's my first frustration.Then you tell me I can talk to you but it's $34 when I just paid and so far have received no information............

Hello

The site is making you an offer to talk to an appraiser. You do not have to accept any offer. As a matter of fact I do not do not do live phone calls, this is not needed, this needs to be done in writing in this message area only.

Appraisers are not employees of the site, we come to the site to value items customers post there. We are not employed there.

I did not send a message for you to cut and paste and email. I have never heard of that and do not know where that comes from.

The instructions I sent are the ones that have worked for my customers, so I share these options.

The ones to email. You send them in email just like I mention, that goes to the site, they forward those pictures to me.

Glenda

Here is a link to instructions for you to upload to this message area:

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Attached are three pictures. Your thoughts?

Hello

I have not been able to find who made this, or when this was made. I am going to opt out maybe one of the other experts will know the mark. You do not need to do anything else, your question along with your pictures will go back on the board.

Glenda

Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your vase. Could you very kindly let me know how big it is, approximately how tall?

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for the delay... the base is 10 inches tall.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not the base, I meant the base!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Vase

Thanks for the measurements (despite the best efforts of your "autocorrect" software!)

When your father-in-law bought this vase it already had some age to it as it dates to the 1920s - 1930s. After about 1921 Japanese export ware tended to be marked with the word "Japan" or "Made in Japan" (as on yours in black) though some authorities insist that the use of "Japan" pre-dates the "Made in Japan" wording but in reality there was little consistency in this chronology.
By then most of this type of art pottery, which is generally referred to as "Satsuma", was being made in Kyoto which is most likely where yours came from.
"Satsuma" is both an aesthetic style and a type of earthenware pottery (with intentional crazing) and it's also a region. Originally all of it was produced near Kagoshima at the very southern tip of Kyushu on the southern island of Japan.
This Kyoto-made version is known as Satsuma-yaki or Satsuma export ware -it was produced exclusively for export to the West and was unknown domestically in Japan at the time.

These vases were produced in huge numbers and consequently, I have to warn you, this is not the expensive end of Satsuma pottery, unfortunately. Having said that, this 3-D or raised relief type does have its following of collectors and makes this piece a little more desirable.

The figures depicted are all holy men, or arhats, and the one woman in the center with the elaborate halo is Kannon, the goddess of mercy in the Buddhist tradition and equivalent of Guanyin in China (and the Virgin Mary in the Christian tradition).

It's all expertly decorated by hand, much of it in raised paste enamel and colored "jewels", an elaborate and tricky-to-do decorative technique that the Japanese call moriage -pronounced "mori-ah-gay". It's a process similar to icing a cake with a piping bag. The colored paste-like slip is squeezed through a tube.

As for the marks on the base, that top red character is really too chipped to read, but the bottom one is 山 or zan which is a common suffix for a Satsuma decorator. The mark could be

妬山

But it's not a decorator that's listed in any of my Satsuma references. That's not unusual, there were truly thousands of them, besides, identifying the decorator in this case is not going to make the vase any more or less valuable, it's just of curiosity value only.

Looking at comparables selling at present for this size, age and artistic merit Satsuma-yaki vase, I would give yours an auction/eBay value range of $130 - $200.

It therefore would have a retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $400. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert