Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/16/2016
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.
That looks fantastic. Based on the serial, it should date to about 1911. There were about 50,000 machines produced during your particular serial run. The 66 was one of singer's first mass produced models and to this day remains one of their most popular. The 66's were made from about 1902 to the 1930s and were replaced by the 201 models. The earliest models were hand cranks and treadles. The last few models came motorized, but you could retrofit the older versions to use motors.

.

From the look of your decals, it looks like you have what's called the red eye version. The 66 came with three main decal versions---the lotus, the sphinx and the red eye. There were some that were plain or even with mild scroll designs, but it's the 3 more detailed and ornate decals that are the most sought after.

.

The decals look to be in pretty good condition. There is some wear on the, but overall, they look really good for their age. In fact, the whole machine and cabinet looks really good. The downside is that the 66's were very common, even the red eye machines, so there are quite a few out there. On the plus side, your machine is in good condition and it carries one of the more collectible decal designs. The machine on it's own with the accessories you have is worth about $225 to $275.

.

Your cabinet is a treadle cabinet. In fact, it looks like the No. 5 from the old catalogs. It should have 7 drawers and an embossed style design. That table was used for the 15's, the 66's, the 127s and the 115s. On it's own it's worth about $250 to $300.

.

Together your machine and cabinet are worth about $500 to $600.

.

.

I'll broke it down both ways so you can decide if you might like to sell it as one set or the machine and table individually.

.

I'll be honest. Sewing machines are a bit tricky. Sometimes what they're actually worth is more than what you might be able to sell it for. The downside to the massive popularity of these machines is that there are still a lot of them around, so the resale values aren't as high as some of the other models
.

The price really depends on how quick you want to make a sale and where you want to try and sell it. If you can get a collector, they will pay almost full value for it, but that means waiting on a sale.

.
The hardest part will be selling it. Shipping can be quite expensive because of the weight. You could try listing on Ebay and list it as a pick up only, that way there is no shipping.
.
Also, If you want to try and stay local, I cannot recommend any single buyer, but you can post a free listing on Craigslist. If you do go that route... it would be best if you make sure you can set up a neutral, public meeting place so you don't have strangers coming to your home.

.
I would try an auction as a last resort for something like this because they are really dependent upon who is the audience. Large items tend to go either way. If you do check with an auction house, ask about setting a reserve price. That way you'll have some control over the final price.
.
If you consider Ebay, consider a reserve and check into alternate shipping options, like freight, greyhound, etc. or you can list it as a pickup only. You can also list it with places like Rubylane, Tias or even Cyberattic or Etsy.
.
Two other good shipping options are:
,
https://www.cratersandfreighters.comm which has a good reputation.
and
http://www.uship.com/ .
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.
I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great evening.
.
~Diana

.

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need?
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.
If you've already rated it, thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Thanks!
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser