Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

8/6/2016
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi Tina,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your jar.

Thanks for the photo of the marks.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the jar itself and let me know how big it is.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 inches

Thanks, ***** *****'s all I need.

Leave this with me while I research this mark and then I'll have a full answer and a value for you.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thk u

Hi Tina,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, it's taken me a while to track down information on this mark.

Your little jar is Chinese (as opposed to Japanese, who make pottery wares similar to this but with a different style of marks) and is of recent origin, late 1900s or early 2000s.

The jar is decorated with a traditional pattern of stylized lotus blossom and scrolling foliage known as karakusa, all in molded raised relief. In the Buddhist tradition the lotus is an important symbol of spiritual purity and detachment from worldly cares and so is an immensely popular decorative motif, particularly on art pottery.

The maker's mark on the base is a little hard to translate because it's written in a type of Chinese writing called zhuanshu, or ancient seal script. Even the Chinese struggle with it.

It looks like it says:

正林

or Zhenglin.

And is just one of truly thousands of modern Chinese pottery factories that have not been around long enough to have a attracted a specific collector following, or even be known about, here in the West.

It's value is purely decorative. If you saw it for sale in a vintage store it would be priced at about $10 - $15.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert

Hi Tina,

Once you're happy I've answered your question about the Chinese jar to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate my services with the stars, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Thanks, R

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
These are not the markings on the bottom but I see you did the best you could so

Hi Tina,

Thanks for appreciating I did my best. You have to flip the photo of the mark you sent me (it's upside-down) to read those two characters in the proper order.

What would be fun would be to take it to the head the Sinology Department at your local university to look at. Suggest they could give it to their students as interesting exercise in transliteration. I think the consensus would be not far off what I've given you, but you'd certainly get some very diverse feedback.

Best wishes,
Robert

Robert S.
Robert S.