Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

A Silver ice bucket on back marks W & SB with a lion at the

Customer Question
end . Cannot make...
A Silver ice bucket on back marks W & SB with a lion at the end . Cannot make out the first symbol. Underneath 410 and E P C
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
8/5/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Your ice bucket is electroplated silver over copper (thus, plated silver). It is by W & S Blackinton of Meriden CT. The mark was used 1865-1966.

The Blackinton pattern/ID for your bucket is 410 dating mid century.

It has an estimated retail value of $65-80 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I give you 5 stars. You answered my question satisfactorily. Thanks

You are most welcome but your rating is not showing up.

Please try again to click the five stars. It is the only way I am credited by the site for my knowledge and work.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I give Doris 5 stars for a complete and satisfactory answer to my question.

You must click on the five stars you see on your reply page.

Otherwise the rating is not given and I am not credited by JA.

Thank yiu!

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser