Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I am seeking the value of a Renoir Watercolor that I have.

Customer Question

I am seeking the value of a Renoir Watercolor that I have. Its an original, Enfants Jouant Au La Balle
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a photo of the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wrong photo sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the right photo of the Renoir
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo of Renoir
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mark, My name is***** and I am an IRS qualified fine and decorative art appraiser. It will be a pleasure to put my training, experience and research library to work for you. What is the provenance of the watercolor?

It would help if I can see images of the signature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to send a photo of the watercolor to you. I will try again now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent it to you. Did you receive it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will take a photo of the signature now

I received the first image, but not the signature. What are the dimensions of the image?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Picture of the signature. Can you see it??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Image is 21X24

Yes Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My parents bought it at a gallery in Paris in 1970
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no numbers at all. It looks like the original

Very good.

What you have is: a well known Renoir lithograph titled: Enfants jouant à la balle (Children Playing Ball), c. 1900, It is an original colored lithograph pulled in 10 colors. Renoir produced only 4 colored prints during his career. This one and 3 others, which is why this one is so well known.

Other copies of this lithograph sold in 2016 for: $14,000.00 & $15,899.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is not a copy. This is the original
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They bought it in 1970 for $18,000 and now your saying it hasn't appreciated????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think your wrong and I am not happy with this response. I was told by an appraiser in Beverly Hills it was worth over $200,000

It is not an original watercolor it is an original lithograph.

The market for this lithograph has gone up and down. It peaked in 2015 in NY for $30,000.00.

I base my values on current market results.

If he said it was worth $200.000. That may well be what a gallery would sell it for. You should offer it to him then.

I will opt out. That will reopen the question at no extra charge. Have a great day.

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. This is a lithograph. It is considered original to Renoir; however, there were approximately 200 printed. The height Of the market was 1999-2008 during this period they were selling as high as $70,000. There was one that sold a few years ago for $50,000. Tim is correct when he said the most recent lithograph sold for $15,000+. There was one offered Just last month with an estimate of $30000-50000 but failed to receive a bid. This is just the current market trend. Things change. The market for a Renoir is soft in general. You Don't have an original water color worth $200,000+. Even in 1970 this would have been well over $50,000 if this were an original watercolor. It is a genuine Renoir lithograph? It is what it is.

Thank you,

Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? It is important that you click on the stars *****. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,