Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Got a a mantel clock that been in my family.. I'm pretty

Customer Question

Got a a mantel clock that been in my family.. I'm pretty sure it's over 100 years old...no sure who made it and what it's worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Mark,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your mantel clock.

Thanks for the photo.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the back of the movement (the 'guts' of the clock) and I'll identify and date it and give you a value.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hope this works for you!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Inside

Thanks, that's tricky to do. Does that say "Ansonia Clock Co"?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please call me TY Mark

Okay, I've tracked your clock down, it is indeed an Ansonia movement, but quite a rare one. I'll have a full answer and a value for you as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, no need to respond to any phone request, it will cost you an extra $18 which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site.

(I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that.)

Back soon with a full answer.

Best wishes,
Robert

Your beautiful mantel clock was made by the Ansonia Clock Company of Connecticut and is an example of one of their rarer higher-end movements, called an "open escapement" where the escapement wheel is mounted on the clock face and can be seen visibly moving.

The beautiful ceramic case, in a rococo revival design painted with flowers, was made by the celebrated German art pottery factory of "Royal Bonn" aka "Poppelsdorf" or "F.A Mehlem" and dates to circa 1880 - 1900. You may see the "Royal Bonn" backstamp on the underside, these cases were often marked as such.

If I had to narrow the date even further I would say late 1890s as this was when these Art Nouveau sprays of flowers became fashionable.
Royal Bonn made cases for the Ansonia Clock Company for many years from the 1880s onwards.
Looking at recent sales, this example, almost identical to yours, sold on line for $300 but the case was severely damaged, so I would say yours would do a good deal better.
I would say that if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc) yours would sell in the range of $750 - $900.
It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $2000. This is also the replacement value and what you should insure it for.
I do hope this helps!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Mark,

Once you're happy I've answered your question, please take a moment to rate my services with the stars, as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line and it will be sure to get to me.

Thanks, R