Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have inherited an antique carriage clock circa 1870's.

Customer Question

I have inherited an antique carriage clock circa 1870's. It's in an inlaid wooden box with we think are my great-grantmother's initials on the side. When I took it to a local antique clock repair I was certain the back had a decorative panel of beautiful metal fly wings that covered the area where you wound the clock. I remember when I looked at several times,I wondered how you wound the clock because that panel was showing. When I took back my clock unprepared, the panel covering the winding plate was missing. The repair person insisted there was no panel and that's the way carriage clocks are built. Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the clock before leaving it for an estimate. The face of the clock says Riggs & Brother with Philadelphia written in. Did I get ripped off? Did this clock have a cover panel on the back covering the winding plate?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you send me a photo of the front and back of the clock, without the plate? I may be able to match the actual clock.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to do that and will have to get some help and get back to you

https://ww2-secure.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I look forward to talking with someone from The Antique Expert. M. Cooley

There is nothing I can do via phone to help you appraise this item--are you looking to discuss your item, or how to take the photos? If it's the photos, you can call Customer Support at no charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****nifer, I tried my best to send you 2 photos today, one of the front and one of the back of the clock. If they aren't OK let me know and I'll get some help from my son to send them again. My initial question: Over the wind up plate, was there another decorative plate on top, one with decorative fly wheels (not part of the clock works)? I was certain when I first got the clock that when I looked on the back I couldn't figure out how to wind it because that plate was not showing. When I got the clock back after taking it to a local antique repair business for an estimae on repairing the clock, I got it back with the wind up plate showing and the cover plate I remember was not there. When I went back to the shop to ask about the "missing piece" I was told it didn't have one, and the way my clock looks is how all carriage clocks look. I just want the peace of mind that what I saw when I first got the clock the cover plateover the winding plate really was there and it was not retured to me in its original condition. Thank you for your help and especially your patience. I look forward to hearing from you. With gratitude, Michelle Cooley

Unfortunately I didn't get them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience and willingness to help me determine if a decorative plate under the beveled glass on the back of the clock is missing. I've decided not to pursue making a determination. Your process to send you a photo is way beyond my level of understanding and I don't want to invest anymore time and frustration in getting an answer. Gratefully, Michelle Cooley