Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the painting size is 23 wide and 28 from top to bottom
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/20/2016
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 year ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you please allow me to review the photos and I will post back here when completed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did you get a answer yet?

Hi thank you I am currently finishing up my evaluation and will post when completed. This is a very nice painting and am currently getting the biography information on artist that I can find. Forgive me for the time however I like to be thorough in evealuations as much as I can .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
why have i already been charged and you have not given me a answer yet?

Hello thank you for your patience. I have no idea why you were charged nor do I have any control on that side of the the company i am a contractor and only handle appraisals for the company like the other experts. We are paid for our work and do not know any of the business end of the company. We are here to help customers and do not even know your name, where you are located or what you have paid. I am sorry for the confusion. You can contact ***@******.*** and they can help you on what you have paid etc.

This is a beautiful painting and nicely framed. It took some time to determine who the artist was exactly and was able to compare the signature and specifically find the correct artist. The value on your painting is 650-700.0 in today's market and the framer listed this as being framed in 1961 on the back. this painting was done in the late 1950s I believe. For insurance purposes if you wish to insure the painting the value for insurance would be 900.00

Here is the information I found on the artist:

http://www.pulpartists.com/Kauten.html

MAT KAUTEN

(1911-1977)

Mathias Kauten was born on June 13,***** Louis, Missouri. His father, also named Mathias Kauten, was born in 1884 in Hungary. His mother, ***** *****ten, was born in 1891 in Hungary. His parents were both German speaking Hungarians, who came to America in 1902 to escape poverty. In 1907 his father enlisted in the U.S. Army and one year later suffered a serious casualty and was honorably discharged as a disabled veteran at the rank of Private. In 1911 his parents married. They lived at***** They owned the house, which was valued at $2,000. His father was a locksmith and a machinist at a clay company located at 4600 South Kings Highway in St. Louis.

In 1920 his younger sister, Antoinette, was born.

He attended public schools in St. Louis and in June of 1929 graduated from Grover Cleveland High School. Afterwards he attended Washington University Art School in St. Louis.

On March 18, 1932 his father died at home at the age of forty-eight. Afterwards his widowed mother received monthly disability benefit payments.

In the summer of 1932 he visited Germany. On the return trip he sailed on the Steam Ship Deutschland from Hamburg.

In the Spring of 1934 he entered a nationwide contest to design the cover for The Sears & Roebuck Catalog. His idea was selected for a $50 Prize, but did not appear in print.

In 1937 he was listed as an "artist" residing at*****in Cape Girardeau, Missouri.

In 1939 he left Missouri and moved to New York to seek his fortune as a commercial artist.

In 1940 he was listed as a commercial artist at room 310 at*****in New Rochelle, NY. This was a fashionable location for professional illustrators. Several artists had earlier left Missouri and moved to New Rochelle, such as R. G. Harris, who shared a studio at*****with John Falter, Emery Clarke, and Richard Lyon. Charles LaSalle, J. W. Scott, and Graves Gladney were also neighbors.

The compulsory draft for able-bodied men began in 1940. This national effort to mobilize in preparation for war began to thin the ranks of the top-level illustrators who were called to serve their country. The pulp magazine industry responded to this crisis by suddenly accepting many entry-level illustrators, who were exempt from military service, such as Ernest Chiriacka, Sam Cherry and Gloria Stoll.

By 1941 Mat Kauten began to sell illustrations to pulp magazines. He sold freelance pulp covers to All Football Stories, Best Western, Blue Ribbon Western, Complete Western Book, Detective Short Stories, Short Stories, Sports Leaders, Western Novel & Short Stories, and Western Short Stories.

During WWII he failed to report for induction into the Army and was arrested for violation of the draft law. He claimed to be a conscientious objector, but he was also an outspoken atheist, so it was legally difficult to object to service on religious grounds. Instead he opposed military service on the grounds that he was a Secular Humanist. His trial eventually reached the Supreme Court and his lawyer was a counsel from the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union). The court finally agreed with him on appeal, which made him the first U.S. citizen granted Conscientious Objector status on secular philosophical grounds. For decades after his trail, future claimants to this same special status had to pass a legal gauntlet known as the "Kauten Test."

After the war he continued to spend much of his time as a pacifist and an anti-war activist, working with groups such as The Peacemakers, The Fellowship of Reconciliation, and The War Resisters League. During the Korean War he was repeatedly arrested at anti-war demonstrations.

In 1949 he married his wife Marie. In 1949 they lived at*****in Manhattan's Greenwich Village.

He painted illustrations for Liberty Magazine and The Saturday Evening Post. He also illustrated, as a photographer, several magazine articles in Esquire Magazine.

In 1949 he filed a patent for a book design with stereoptical illustrations.

He studied for one year with Frank Lloyd Wright, and wrote an article about him for The Progressive Architect Magazine. In the 1960s he worked as an architect for open-minded clients who were interested in his ultra modern home designs, such as a geodesic globe supported on a steel tripod. He designed another modernistic home in Sag Harbor on Long Island, NY, for Natalie Emma Rossin Davies.

In 1964 he and his wife moved to New Hope, Pennsylvania, a quaint artistic town on the Delaware River, famous for its many antique shops.

Mathias Kauten died at the age of sixty-five in Pennsylvania on May 1, 1977.

______________________

He was known to do figurative paintings through out his career and portraits to relax and release stress from 1945-1960s era. I believe this is one of those paintings of an old man reading the paper in his kitchen. Thank you for sharing this painting as it is a very nice piece.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site.

Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for the info. but is there any way to find a signature so i can compare my painting to another one of his signatures? the signature that shows {mat} looks different than mine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
did you get my last message that i sent you at 9am? thanks

Hello sorry for the delay I am in meetings and checked in here. I will look and see what signatures I can find for you of course. Thank you for the photos and I will go over them and help you on signature comparison.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i did some research on my own and they are very different . i dont think he is the artist.if you could get back to me asap that would be great.

Hi ok I will keep checking then I had thought I had the correct artist. I will continue one last time and opt out if I can not find the artist for you today

Hello I will opt out of this question as I can not find an exact match on the signature. You do not need to do anything further and it will not cost you anymore. I will not be able to post back here . The question will open for other experts to view your photos and help you if they are able to. thank you and I wish you good luck.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser