Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have my mother's Oneida community plate

Customer Question

I have my mother's Oneida community plate silverware,coronation design. 80 pieces complete set,may have been used twice.I think she purchased in 1937 or 1938.What might the value be? ***@******.***. Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

You have 80 pieces. To calculate estimated values, I will assume that your set serves 12 people, that each of the 12 people would have 6 pieces each and that there are 8 serving pieces.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should return within 20-30 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick response.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Your 80 piece set of silver plated Oneida flatware has an estimated retail value of $820-850 assuming good condition with no monograms and depending on location.

The pattern was produced 1936-2004.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome.

Your 80 piece set of silver plated Oneida flatware has an estimated retail value of $820-850 assuming good condition with no monograms and depending on sale location.

The pattern was produced 1936-2004.

Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

I hope I have helped you.

Kind regards.

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your evaluation of the silverware.I now have some idea where to start.Thanks again. ***** *****
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, John.

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM credited BY JA for my work.
Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris