Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an 18in tiki man carving that was bought at an

Customer Question
auction for a movie set...
I have an 18in tiki man carving that was bought at an auction for a movie set then given to us as a gift. I have no history to turn to for the piece but I would like to know origins and appraisal.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 3 days by:
7/17/2016
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
.
.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

What movie set?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Keeping up with the Jones, but I'm not sure why that applies?

Hello

It helps to establish what age this might be. Movie sets rarely spend money on artifacts in order to dress sets. So this lets me know that they purchased this most likely as a new object during the time of the movie. They do buy from certain people who pick things up for them, these people purchase from just about anywhere, including flea markets and such.

I will check this out and get back to you .

The wood carving is Polynesian, from the mid 20thC around 1950 or 60. Is this signed by chance?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The friend that gave it to me was the set buyer for the movie, interesting job! She bought it from an auction just to dress the set up, huge budget, she got it for 300 but it came with no information. And yes she does buy stuff from just about anywhere! She's working on the new Spider-Man movie now!

Wow! What an awesome job! I knew some buyers for movies. I had an Antique shop, they shopped in my shop a lot..

.

I am sure she got this at an antique shop.
.
The Tiki Statue, circa: mid century, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $400.00-450.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give.
.
You must click one of the stars ( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question.

.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
Please Rate this in order for me to get credit for my work from the Justanswer site.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser