Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I need to find out any relevant information and insurance

Customer Question

I need to find out any relevant information and insurance value on some of the rugs I have. I have about 15-20 total but figured a couple at a time would be best... Attached are pictures of a few very similar ones. I placed a yardstick in the pictures to help with dimensions.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

In order to get an Insurance Appraisal these need to be looked at in person by an appraiser. I can get you a list of appraisers you can contact in your area if you like?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. All of my rugs are in storage now and not easily accessible. I really just need general information about the rugs and some idea of value.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

What do you mean general information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where they were made, type/style, approx date, knot count...things like that.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I can only tell you they are Middle Eastern, I cannot tell you where they were made since they are not marked. There are and were hundreds of rug makers in the middle east, some in India, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan and other regions. This is why it is so important for people to leave the sewn on tags on the rugs. There are so many that are copied and look a like. A Appraiser who specializes in Vintage Rugs, will know or be able to research regions from the type of thread used, to what kind of thread, things of this nature,. Things that cannot be done online. They can also date it from being able to inspect it in person.

All we can do is tell you it does appear to be Middle Eastern and it does appear to be Machine Made. I cannot see the fabric well enough to do a thread count. I can give you a general idea only of what this rug might sell for.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it. I do know that these are hand knotted and from Iran (don't know what area). There were never tags on them. I have had rugs checked out in this site before without any problem...
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.

I am sure there are some on here that are ok with not seeing the items. I am not, meaning I could only do this one rug. I can value this one rug you have here, I can see it.

.

If you knew it was from Iran then why would you not tell me this. If you knew it was hand knotted then why not share that with me. From what I can see in this image it appears to me to be machine made. I am going to opt out of this maybe some other expert is comfortable in pricing that many rugs from just seeing this one.

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only wanted information on 3 rugs...and I attached pictures of all 3, front and back. The fact that you think I sent 6 pictures of one rug disqualifies you.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help appraise one rug, but I cannot do three within one question. Please let me know if you'd like to me go ahead with one of the rugs.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, thank you.

OK, I'll opt out. Hopefully someone will do all three within one question, but I'm not sure how many other rug experts are on the site right now.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want anyone to appraise anything. I want the request closed.