Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

1847 bros. Silver-plated registered number 83542 worth

Customer Question
1847 Rogers bros. Silver-plated...
1847 Rogers bros. Silver-plated registered number 83542 worth anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
7/2/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please send two photos - one of the piece and a clear, close-up of the marks.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Did you get pictures

No. They did not come through at this end.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Last night I sent pictures. Did you get them? I did it from this screen using paper clip.

No.

I am so sorry but I did not receive your photos but I do know the pattern. I found the number.

For me to value your set, I need to know the following:

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces do you have?

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

It's an 8 piece set with serving spoon, ladle and pie cutter...

Does your set serve 8 people?

If so, how many pieces does each of those 8 people have?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 spoon, 1 fork and 1 knife

The date in the trademark 1847 Rogers Bros refers to the date that the firm of Rogers Bros can trace its roots to.

Your set of plated silver flatware serving 8 people has an estimated retail value of $260 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

I wish I could value it higher but my references do not support a higher value. Plated silver has dropped significantly in value in the last 25 years.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA
Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.
Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser