Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

My Father gave me a baseball that s Father gave m. My

Customer Question

My Father gave me a baseball that his Father gave him. My grandfather got the baseball in Fayetteville , NC in 1914 at an exibition game . It is signed by Babe Ruth. I am trying to find out what it is worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

See the following site describing Babe Ruth's career.

Career started in 1914.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth

If you are to maximize the value of your baseball you need to have it certified.

See the following images showing the variance in values of signed Babe Ruth baseballs.

One clean one is $50,909. The other barely visible signature one is $9,749.

Still, you must have a certification done to authenticate your baseball. You know it's authentic but unless you have that certified, your ball may only be worth $20.

Collectors require official authentication.

This service provides that:

Certification of Baseballs

http://www.psacard.com/Services/AutographedBaseballProcess/

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.
Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

This image did not come through in my last response.

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris