Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a signature on a mid size oil painting with a

Customer Question
signature that looks like HMunch____. Portrait...
I have a signature on a mid size oil painting with a signature that looks like HMunch____.
Portrait of a sitting man, was purchased most likely at Selkirks about 30 yrs ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
6/27/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the signature. Also let me see the back of the framing if you can. I like to see frame or canvas construction and sometimes there are labels there as well.

I am unable to find a match for this signature and etching. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer. They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Antique Expert: Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi David, my name is ***** ***** is a pleasure to look at this painting for you.

The signature continues past Munch. Can you pick out any of the letters? If you look at it with a light at an slight angle or just glancing the surface more details can be picked up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The next letter is the only one I could even guess at. It could be an H, or a K
Also, the letter before Munch seems to be an H and it is touching the M in Munch
Also, there are dot(s) above the u in Munch, or Munck

Thank you. Let us see what we can discover. I will be out of the office for a couple of hours so please be patient.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can only come up with Gustav Heinrich Munch Mannheim as a possible artist. I would be wanting to know the approximate value of this work, or similar works, and hopefully identify the artist. I would love biographical information on the artist but I don't know what your appraisal entails.

The appraisal will include any biographical and value information I find. There are 49 listed artists that have Munch in their name, I am looking through the list to see which one matches.

After looking at all of the possible variations on artists with the name Munch, it appears the most logical choice is:

Gustav Heinrich MÜNCH (1884-1922)

Gustav Heinrich MÜNCH-MUNNTYZILL , Gustav Heinrich MÜNCH-MANNHEIM. He signed his name in several variations on these three names.

He is the only one with a name that follows the Munch.

The artist is primarily known as a landscape painter. Which is why I had some doubts.

Next is how the value of the painting.

In today's art market the importance of the artist drives his market.

Gustav Heinrich's art is sold primarily in Germany, where he is best known. In tracing the auction records for the last 5 years, his paintings have sold for: $244.00 to $306.00. This give us an estimated value range for your painting.

Thank you for an interesting challenge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is also the artist that I came up with but was looking for confirmation. Do you have any biographical information on this artist? I selected "thorough" when paying for the appraisal. I have done some looking on the internet and have discovered that he was a student of Ludwig Dill. He apparently painted in the same style as his teacher. I have obviously way over-paid for this piece but still would like to know more about the artist if possible. Thank you in advance, Charlie

Charlie There is very little bio available on GUSTAV HEINRICH MUNCH - MANNHEIM 1882 Mannheim - 1922 Landscape painter, pupil of L. Dill , worked in Mannheim , Karlsruhe and Dachau area. This basically what you have already learned.

None of my online research sites have more than that.

There is possibly more in Benezit Dictionary of Artists, which is a 14 vol. set.

I usually use the one at my library.

Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques