Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am considering buying an oak sideboard at an estate

Customer Question

I am considering buying an oak sideboard at an estate auction. It is oak, appears to be about 3 feet wide, with two small drawers on top, one long one on the bottom and two 'cabinet' areas in the middle. What is a good price to pay?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is an American quarter sawn oak sideboard and is from about 1910 to 1915.

Furniture has been going quite cheap at auctions lately, you are likely to get it for a good price.

While these are sold retail for $300 to $400 online and a few hundred more in antique shops in large cities,

you should not pay more than $140 to $170 plus commission at an auction.

Good luck!

It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.

Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.