Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

L I have a painting that says on the back of it From the oil

Customer Question

L
I have a painting that says on the back of it From the oil painting Through the Gums by Australian artist Leonard long
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

From the information you have given, your piece appears to be a copy of an oil painting by Leonard Long.

I your piece done in oils?

Does it appear to be a print?

Is it behind glass?

What is the size, not including the frame? Do not remove from the frame.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doris unfortunately I did open the frame and its signed by Leonard Long . I would need to show someone who possibly can tell if it's an oil painting or not as I'm not knowledgable enough to tell the difference . It has 62 beside his name I presume that's the year .. The size would be about 30 X 25 centimetres . So thank you. I will have it re framed and hang it in a special place as it was given to me way back in the 60s . Regards Val
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Val,

When you find out if the piece is an oil or print, then come back here.

I want to give your an appropriate value.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris
I found out today it was definitely a print .. had it reframed . Have not been able to find a copy of the original painting . An approximate value would be interesting . Thank you regards Val
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

It's almost 5AM here in my part of USA.

I am glad you finally found what you have.

Now, we need to determine a couple of other things.

Are there any numbers other than the 62?

What type of material is the print on? Canvas, paper...etc?

Does the print have any indentation around the sides, top and bottom of the color portion?

Does the signature appear original or printed.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris