Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

A painting by Evelyn Embry : the name and date on it is

Customer Question
a painting by Evelyn Embry JA...
a painting by Evelyn Embry
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: the name and date on it is Embry/72 it is of an American Indian Squaw
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I know that my parents bought it at a galery in San Francisco many years ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2016
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 year ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Can you post a photo of the overall painting so I may evaluate the piece? Also what are the dimensions of the painting? I will begin my appraisal now by researching the artist. To post photos you click on the file upload button and follow the prompts. The other way to submit photos is to send them by email to ***@******.*** and in the email please put "forCustomerquot; and the company will forward the photo on to me the email submission of photos can take a day or two to get to me. I will post back here as soon as I receive the photos if you send them by email.

Thank you and please let me know which way is best for you on photos or if you have a photo. If not I can still give a general value by size. thank you again I will be posting back here shortly.

The photo attached is a photo of the artist Embry and the following is the biography on Embry i was able to find.

Fine Art by Evelyn Embry:

Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., Evelyn Embry studied oil painting under Sergei Bongart in California where she worked with live models, learned color relationship, and painting techniques. Embry also uses pastels as a painting medium, not a drawing medium. She has won numerous awards, including the 2002 Agora Gallery 2002 Soho International Art Competition, the 2002 Constance Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts Grant, the 2003 Astraea Visual Arts Awards, and most recently the 2004 Contemporary Portrait Exhibit Award at the Rye Arts Center, Rye, NY.

Embry feels the pastel medium is more appropriate for women and children since it is softer and enhances the sensitivity of the subject. It is also more spontaneous than any other medium. Once framed, pastels can outlast oils since no binder is used which can cause cracking or yellowing with time, but pastels are sensitive to moisture and care must be taken when transporting and storing them.

Embry uses only quality materials, whether painting in oils or pastels. For pastels she uses Wallis sanded archival paper and a variety of major pastel brands to complete a specific portrait. The artist uses fine quality linen canvas for oil portraits. She currently has five portraits on exhibit at the Contemporary Portrait Exhibit at the Rye Arts Center, Rye, NY, from 11 January to 14 February 2004. Two of Embry's portraits will be featured in the nationally recognized American Artist Magazine in the spring of 2004 (April/May), and one is featured at the Rye Arts Center website. Please contact us at Shangri-La to arrange a portrait.

Once I know the size of your painting I will be able to give you a current market value. Thank you it is a pleasure to help you.

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur