Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

6/15/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Please send me the size of your painting, not including the frame.. Do not remove from the frame.

What is the medium - watercolors, oils, etc,

Kind regards,

Doris

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris i sent you a photo of my painting and agreed to pay but i am not happy with your answer i do not know the size nor do i know what mediums were used that it why i sent you the photo i would like my money back please how do i go about this

His oils and watercolors look similar. Value varies with medium. Is it behind glass?

If so, it is probably a watercolor. Let me know.

Value can depend on size to use the appraisal standard method. Just try to guess at the size.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris it is behind glass measurements are 520mm (20.5 inches) wide 420mm or (16.5) height 660mm or (26.5) inches diagonally

Thank you so much!

It is 6AM here. I am in Central Time zone USA. I fell asleep early last night and missed your question.

I had already done some work on your artist so I knew your painting had significant value.

Let me research more now that I have your information. I will be back in about 40 minutes.

I thank you for your continuing patience.

My best,

Doris

Maurice Vlaminck (1876-1958)

"Maurice Vlaminck and Andre Derain were good friends and neighbors in France; they made a spectacular pair. Both were huge and both wore conspicuous clothes. One of Vlaminck's favorite items of costume was a painted wooden necktie. They lived and worked in a seaside suburb called Chatou and invited Matisse to visit them there. Thus began one of the most fruitful associations in modern French art: Fauvism.

Despite their friendship there were wide differences in their personalities as well as many similarities. Vlaminck claimed to despise intellectual pursuits; Derain read enormous numbers of books. Vlaminck called Derain "a hot-house plant"; Derain's father forbade his son to bring Vlaminck to their house.

Vlaminck was about twenty-five at the time; he was already married and had two children. He took life a great deal more lightly than the others; he had no money. He was a red-headed colossus, well known as a boxer and a wrestler. He supported himself and his family partly as a violinist, sometimes posing as a gypsy, and by writing pulp novels that skirted the boundaries of pornography. He was a blatant self-promoter who painted in furious bursts, often spreading the oil paint on directly from the tubes. By the age of thirty, he had attained heights he never regained in a long lifetime of painting.

After a brief skirmish with Cubism, Vlaminck began striking out against the current trend. He retired to Normandy and started painting the dozens of landscapes, golden wheat fields and chilly, wind-swept winter scenes that earned him the title "poet of stormy skies"."

Source: Jean Ershler Schatz, artist and researcher from Laguna Woods, California.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $24,000-26,000 for your painting by Maurice de Vlaminck.

Retail art gallery prices can be as much as 4 to 5 times auction value. Much depends on the location of the sale.

There are sales of his work later this month at Christie's and Sotheby's auction houses. You may want to check out the results of those. Just keep in mind that his oils sell for much more than his watercolors.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

In general, a private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

If another professional enters our exchanges, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello again Doris i am blown away from your valuation my husband is having a hard time believing this he cant beleive we have such a valuable peice of art are you sure he is asking can you tell from a photo and meaurements that it is not a fake or fraudulent i am sorry if we sound ignorant but we do not have a great understanding of art is this peice original or would this be a copy redone by Maurice we are both excited about this news and now have a new found appreciation for art would we need a valuation certificate to insure this painting and how do we obtain a certificate we live in Australia

If you send me a photo of the signature, I can probably tell you if it looks like that of Vlaminck.

However, signatures cannot be verified (Certified) via photos.

That must be done in person.

All I can do is tell you if the signature is similar.

The style of the painting certainly is.

You will need to take your painting to an expert art appraiser.

The best way I know to find someone in Australia is to call Sotheby's Australian offices in Sydney or Melbourne. See this link for the contact information:

http://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/australian--international-art.html

Sotheby's Auction house is holding a big sale of Vlaminck art at one of its locations around the world later this month.

To send me the signature -

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

You may want to see this biography of the artist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_de_Vlaminck

My best,

Doris

I am only credited for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Doris i have tried a dozen times to send you a picture of his autograph but it will not upload i just keep getting a message an unknown has occured please try again

Photos go through the JA site before they get to me.

I have no control over whether the photos are rejected or accepted.

To get help with photos, go to this address:
Address for customer support.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Kind regards,

Doris

Please try making your photos smaller. This is best achieved by lowering the resolution.

Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

You may still be having trouble ending photos. Try this explanation.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

If another professional enters our exchanges after my answer here, please feel free to tell them you are working with me, if you wish.

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser