Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Fruit gum slot machine 1910, doesin't work. Needs repaired!

Customer Question

Bell fruit gum slot machine 1910, doesin't work. Needs repaired! What might it be worth?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It was in storage for many years. It never worked, and kept as a conversation piece. Yet with someone who restores them I'm sure it will work. Just like to know what it's worth as is, and after giving it some TLC.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Thanks for your evaluation.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.

The Bell Fruit Gum Slot Machines Working,( no record of one sold that was not working ) have an estimated retail ( Book Value , Insurance replacement ) of $3***-**-****.00 The price they would sell for in an Antique shop, or high end Antique Website would be -$3***-**-****.00 and higher depending where it is located. Auction values on places such as Ebay on today's market they are only bringing an average of $***-**-****.00 and up depending on who bids on it. These prices do not mean you cannot ask whatever you would like for this, there is no set rule that says you have to sell for auction price or even the retail value. Items are sold all the time for much more then they are worth and sadly at times for much less then they are worth. If it were mine and I was selling it, I would list this for $900.00-950.00 ( as is ) and see how it does. If it did not sell then I would hang onto it for a bit and try again. Selling always depends on the right person coming along and wanting what you have.. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.

.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
.
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.
.
Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Glenda, your kind words were just amazing. Now I have a better insight on pricing this item. Thanks so, so much in informing me on the other options as well.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, if you do not mind taking a moment to rate me I would greatly appreciate it. You just click one of the top stars at the top left of the page. This ensures I am compensated by the site for answering your question. If you have a problem with rating please let me know.

I hope you have a wonderful day, if you need anything else feel free asking for me. Just send it " For Glenda Only PLease "

this ensures I get it.

Thank you again,

smiles :)

Glenda