Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a 24x36 painting circa 1910 cityscape with artist fleur de lys. I have a low resolution photo and artist sig...

Customer Question
I have a 24x36 painting...
I have a 24x36 painting circa 1910 cityscape with artist fleur de lys. I have a low resolution photo and artist sig available in jpg.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
6/14/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

If another professional enters our exchanges, feel free to tell them that you are working with me if you wish.

Please send a clear, close-up image of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

I also need the medium - oils, watercolors, etc.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for the information and photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Do you think the signature you can see in person might be M. de Lys?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have a clue. Looks like a willow tree.

Your artist is Maurice de Lys, a relatively unknown 20thC French artist.

The theme cityscape is very popular.

At auction your early 20thC painting would be $200-600 assuming condition.

The estimated retail value would be $1200-1800 depending on location.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" at the first of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would I find a reference to this artist, either online or in a library?

I could not found him in my books on 20thC artists.

I found him in on only one of the subscription-only online art sites.

There just is very little information about him available.

I wish I could be more specific.

Kind regards,

Doris

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 1 year ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Hi

You have a vintage original painting that dates to the 3rd quarter of the 20th century, 1950’s - 1970’s.

It is by what is known as an unlisted artist, meaning one that does not sell at auction for fine art collector and investor purposes, but a painting that is more intended for decorative framed original wall art for the home, hotel or lobby setting. Oftentimes, the artist’s name that is on the painting is fictitious They were in decorator shops, furniture show room stores and department store furniture sections. This one is made to look like a tourist painting from Europe sold along the sidewalks by street artists in major cities such as Paris, Vienna, Rome and Cologne.

Your vintage framed oil painting would sell for $100 - $300 on today’s market. They do get offered for higher on online auction sites, but the realistic sales prices are lower than asking price. The suggested insurance, or replacement value is $400.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Nora