Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

American Waltham Watch Co. pocket watch serial #15210561.

Customer Question
Still works, in good condition...
American Waltham Watch Co. pocket watch serial #15210561. Still works, in good condition with normal wear and tear. Would like more information on it and what is the value of it now.Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
6/12/2016
Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi and thanks for choosing us. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

What a great piece to have handed down to you. Based on the serial number, it's a Model 1883, 820 grade and should have a lever movement setting. It should be a size 18 with about 15 jewels. It has a full plate and the movement or mechanism has a nickel finish too.

.

Based on records, the movement should date to around 1906. There were nearly 225 different runs between when it was first made in 1897 and when it was discontinued in 1918. They produced over a 413,000 overall and about 1,000 in your run alone. It was a very popular mid-grade watch during the very early 1900s. It looks like it's been well taken care of.

.

Based on the mark I see, that looks like an anchor, which means your case was likely made by Dueber. Given that mark, it should be a gold filled case.

.

In working condition, the movement alone will be worth about $75 to $125. With a gold plated case would be worth about $100 to $150.

.

If you have an reservations about the case, a jeweler can run a real quick test for you and many will do it for free. Also, just for future reference and in case you might be interested....If the case says anything like guaranteed or warranted that means it's most likely a gold-filled case. The majority of gold fill cases tend to show a little brass somewhere. If you can't read the marks, give the case a good look-over. Look closely at the pendant, on the bow or on the bottom edge. Also, look where the case was cut or turned down while manufacturing, like the lever cuts, the case spring holes, or where the movement is. Often you can see a bit of the brass showing at any of those places.
.
I hope this helps. If you have any questions just let me know.
.
The exact pricing will depend on the condition and where you sell it. At an auction, you're really dependent on the audience unless you stick a reserve on your watch. They can go high or low. Plus you might have dealers in the audience, so they might try to get values lower so they can make a profit later on.
.
Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less. Trade shows and dealers won't offer the real value either because they will be looking to resell.
.
Your best values will come from a private sale to another collector. Many specialize in vintage and antique jewelry and some will allow you to sell on consignment.

.

Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores for selling old watches and do sell worldwide. Etsy is another great place and it generally has some of the lowest rates.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great day

Diana

Hi.

.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need? If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you might have. If you have any technical problems, such as rating, please let me know and I can contact someone on your behalf.

.

Thanks!

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser