Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I'd like to know the age and value of my rectangle

Customer Question
drop-leaf coffee/side table, as well...
I'd like to know the age and value of my rectangle drop-leaf coffee/side table, as well as any information regarding history, origin, and manufacturer. It appears to be black walnut, and is in very good condition, but not excellent. Very sturdy, but has some minor dings in the finish on the top, but nothing deep into the finish. With the leaves down the top measures 24"x30"; with leaves up it is 48" long. About 19.25" tall. The legs are curved, and I'll try to capture them in a picture. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
6/9/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Have you flipped it over to look for any labels, marks or writing on the underside?If there is something there, so use the Add Files feature to add pictures.

I will have to opt-out as I am unable to find the exact maker for this table. Another expert will step in and answer at no extra cost to you.

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 1 year ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

You have a vintage circa 1940 H-stretcher drop-leaf coffee table. The style of the table is a Revival of Tudor Era furniture from the late 1500's. The low coffee table with extension sides is 20th century. Code numbers stenciled on furniture were generally in-house inventory and catalogue numbers, and are usually not able to be traced to a maker. This is not unusual in the furniture world. It is American furniture and likely made in the Grand Rapids, Michigan area.

Here is a link for you to a short article on furniture marks:

http://www.myantiquefurniturecollection.com/what-do-the-stencils-found-on-old-furniture-mean-1278.html

On today's market, this could sell for a high average of $250 - $400.

You can, however, ask any price you please on an item you own, they key factor is finding a buyer at your asking price.

Bear in mind that an ‘asking price’ is one that has not been sold yet and a true sale value is based on actual past documented sale records.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Nora