Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a few pieces stamped 1847ROGERSBROS> XS TRIPLE.

Customer Question

I have a few pieces stamped 1847ROGERSBROS> XS TRIPLE. What are they?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

In 1847, Asa Rogers, Jr, and his brothers, William and Simeon, first began production of plated silver spoons under the Rogers Bros name.

Eventually, the trademark name 1847 Rogers Bros. came to be used on future wares even in the 20thC.

In 1898, the firm joined with several other American silver firms to form the International Silver Co. Many of these firms continued to use their own trademark names - like 1847 Rogers Bros.

The XS Triple mark you see represents an advertising tool that the firm used to say that the silver plating was of good quality.

Your pieces are thus plated silver.

I would need to see your pieces to give you exact values; but, in general, the plated flatware with this trademark sells on average for $12 a piece retail with the serving pieces like tomato slices or fish servers selling retail for about $30 each. All is assuming that the pieces are in good condition with no plating missing.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com
Amazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOA

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.