Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I don't know if the framed artwork I have is a print,

Customer Question
original or what. It is...
I don't know if the framed artwork I have is a print, original or what. It is signed Geoff Hunt 2007.
There is a brass plate that says "Trouble heading for Wiscasset" HMS Rainbow in the Sheepscot River Maine 10 Sept 1777
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
5/25/2016
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 1 year ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

In order for me to properly assess what you have I will need to know the size and see images of the front, back (do not remove from frame) and a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature.

If you had already attached images to your initial posting, they are not showing for me here on my end.

Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've attached 6 pics including a close-up of the sticker on the back. The canvas measures 35"w x 24" H
IMAG0261.jpgIMAG0261.jpgIMAG0266.jpgIMAG0266.jpgIMAG0267.jpgIMAG0267.jpgIMAG0269.jpgIMAG0269.jpgIMAG0271.jpgIMAG0271.jpgIMAG0273.jpgIMAG0273.jpg

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay

Thank you for your patience.

You have a 2007 framed color printed reproduction of a painting by Geoff Hunt with texturized surface made to appear like an original painting. If you look closely at the image of the signature you provided for me, you will see a dot matrix pattern on the surface that is indicative of machine printing. It was common throughout the 20th century for publishers to print images of paintings and sell them as decorative wall art through decorator, furniture and framing shops.

On today's market, this could sell for a high of $80 - $160. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $200.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora

Nora
Nora