LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

Found a serving tray at garage sale. Bottom says Meridian Silver

Customer Question

Found a serving tray at garage sale. Bottom says Meridian Silver plate Co Quadruple with a serial number, 174124IN. Any info would be appreciated
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also has a lion I believe
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me time to research this try and I will post my completed evaluation back here. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know of you need anything else from me.
The inception of silver plated ware industry dates back to 1847 and to the efforts of Rogers brothers who in their little shop at Hartford developed the electro-plating process.But the business finds its origin as early as 1808, with the establishment in Meriden of a small plant for the production of pewter or Britannia ware.At a later date, it was the foresight of the Britannia makers which turned into a success the efforts of the Rogers brothers. Joining together of the mechanical genius of the Hartford experimenters and the practical business ability of the Britannia makers constituted the definite beginning of silverware making as a business.The Rogers brothers had met with success their activity, but were hampered by lack of capital and qualified organization to market their product.In 1852 six or seven small Britannia ware plants in the town of Meriden were organized by Horace C. and Dennis C. Wilcox into the Meriden Britannia Co supplying Britannia, Albata and German silver ware, both plated and unplated, to many other firms.An agreement was reached whereby the genius and skill of the Rogers were joined with the initiative and business ability of the Meriden concern, and the latter began the production of goods that were later to be described in the catalogue of the Meriden Britannia Co., in the year 1867, as supplying "all the advantages of silver in durability and beauty at one-fifth the cost".You have the Meriden lion logo from 1880 era and the value is 65.00 on the tray. Nice old piece to have found at a garage sale. Thank youIf I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.
If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question