Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
circa 1900
5/15/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. I have a similar brooch (yes, that's how it's spelled). It is not an unusual design. Almost all have a small diamond as central part of the necklace. Mine is surrounded by white gold filigree. In your photo, the filigree looks like yellow gold. Am I correct? If so, did the jeweler tell you the karat? Note: I assume the 190 I see is 1900. Kind regards,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the jeweler did not give me any information the diamond appears to be set in silver or white gold. The picture adds a yellow cast. I have seen many cameos but never one like this one. You say it is very common. Where and when were they made. Can you give me an insurance worth?
They were mostly made in England or Italy. Most have 14 Karat gold filigree as framing. We will assume yours is. The diamonds are always a small carat. See the following image. It is one that is Art Nouveau - 1890-1910 like yours. It's asking price is $610. I would set insurance replacement value at $650. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser