Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a 36 piece set of Coalport bird of Paradise (blue) mint

Customer Question
condition 6 butter plates 6 salad plates 6...
I have a 36 piece set of Coalport bird of Paradise (blue) mint condition
6 butter plates
6 salad plates
6 dinner plates
6 tea cups and sauser
purchases in 1970's for $2000.00
photos attached.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
5/15/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. Thank you for the information.Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.I should be back within 40 minutes.I thank you in advance for your patience.Kind regards,Doris
Your photos did not come through at this end.Please resend. To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Kind regards,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent new photo did you receive it need appraisal a.s.a.p.
Please confirm***@******.***
Leonie Beetham
I did not receive your photo.Please try again. I will work quickly once I have it.Again,To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best. Do not send as an email attachment. Use the blue box to send. Kind regards,Doris
Have you had a chance to look at these images?Best,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes b31e8597 the first image sent. Will try again with photo
I thought the pattern might be the first one; so, I have already researched it. Unfortunately, the prices of formal china have dropped significantly in the past 30 years. Most of households currently do not have the time or help to wash china by hand and many older patterns like yours cannot be put in a dishwasher. I calculated and researched the retail vintage store value several different ways.The best value I could justify was $1680 for your rather small set. As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.In US:ChinaLane.comChinaFinders.comChinaReplacements.comIn UK:ChinaSearch.co.ukMatchingChina.co.ukChinaMatchers.co.ukReplaceYourPlates.co.ukAustralia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.htmlOnline auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.com How to pack and send china:China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.On the top, write "This side up."For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Thank you for the photos.They show the same pattern I used to answer your question. Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.Kind regards,Doris
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser