Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

5/3/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome, Andy. My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. With the coming of the railroad in 1888, many furniture companies opened near My Airy, NC. However, the Mt Airy Chair Co was founded later in 1921. Your cabinet would date in the early 1920s before the Art Deco style became popular. My research indicates it would have a retail vintage store value of $550-600 assuming good condition with no deep scratches, wobbly legs. loose hinges or chips. Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.comA method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.I highly recommend this method. They only charge $25 for 25 words in a classified ad. This publication is a monthly newspaper as well as on their internet website.http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertisingBe sure to specify local pick up only. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport. A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser