Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have one 1804 silver dollar and would like to know how to

Customer Question

I have one 1804 silver dollar and would like to know how to fine out the value of it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name isCustomerand I would love to help.Please add a picture of the coin front and back by using the Add Files feature on your screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble adding a picture of the coin
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a counterfeit coin called a Dexter dollar. This coin has the wrong shape of stars , lack of detail in the face and hair, poorly struck letters on both sides and several other red flags that tell me this is a Dexter dollar and not an 1804 Draped Bust Dollar.I have compared it to the 1804 silver dollar in my Guide Book of United States Coins 2016, Kenneth Bressett, and this is a coin that would be worth 2million to 4million if it were real because there are only 8 known coins with one reverse design with the word States near the clouds ($4.1 million) and only 6 known coins with the word states moved an bit to the left of the clouds ($2.3million)This coin has the wrong shape of stars , lack of detail in the face and hair, poorly struck letters on both sides and several other red flags that tell me this is a later coin or a restrike/reproduction.This website below has pictures so that you can see what I mean.http://www.silver-coins.org/1804_draped_bust_dollar.htmlThis coin you have is worth about $60 to $70.00.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.