Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

All my detailed text description got deleted and lost when

Customer Question
I tried to attach photos...
All my detailed text description got deleted and lost when I tried to attach photos. So "expert" will have to opine re my inherited Civil War pin from viewing snapshots. But, it is definitely not an early DAR one, which I have too. Think it was actually my grandfather's who was born on a Plantation in NC in 1861. As you can see, it is finle crafted silver and enamel openwork with ribbon and Laurel motifs Incorporated in destgn. I have searched Web and cannot find anything like it. So, am presuming it is rare?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/21/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
This is a United Daughters of the Confederacy silver membership pin.These were made by a few different companies in silver, 10k gold and metal over the years, so they all differ a little.This one dates to about 1910 and has a value of $75.00.It is important for you to click the stars after you have read this answer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Was not interested in valuation as I can go to EBay, etc. myself and check out "solds" for a $75 valuation of more common DAR vintage pins. And, I was already aware from my own research that many DOC pins from 19th century forward were made in different designs and of 10k+ gold, silver, etc My inquiry was prompted primarily by historical interest and dating. And, after searching many DOC websites, the only pin I could find that is exactly like mine with the word "CHILDREN"(instead of "DAUGHTERS") was on a State Chapter web page --- unfortunately a photo used as a decorative embellishment only with no explanation. So, my deduction was/is that it's the only "unisex" design that could be worn by a male descendant of a DOC member. Guess I'll have to contact the National chapter for archive info unless you can tell me how you came up with the 1910 date for this particular pin --- you may be correct, but I would appreciate your citing your source. As, it's important in the context of my family history.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cannot rate responding until follow up question is answered.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Waiting for response to follow up question. So far, my experience has been less than satisfactory!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Send me an email with any follow up answers.
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 1 year ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi, I see the first expert to respond to you has opted-out here. I have found matches for you of pins with the words "Children of the Confederacy" instead of Daughters. Also, here is a link for you to the official "Children of the Confederacy" page and their purpose: http://www.hqudc.org/cofc-purpose-eligibility/ Here are links for you to matches and their sale prices: $22.50http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/veterans-pin-children-of-the-confederacy-with $22.49:http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-children-confederacy-sterling-174019570 $46.01:http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/civil-war-enamel-silver-children-77699304 $38.50http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/sterling-children-confederacy-1861-130437110 Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating. ~Nora
Nora
Nora