Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I am curious about the value of an oil painting (still life)

Customer Question
by Ernest Trubach that was...
I am curious about the value of an oil painting (still life) by Ernest Trubach that was gifted to my mother in the late 1950's. She worked with and was good friends with a mutual friend. It has his signature and the number "26" after his name on the bottom left hand side.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
4/17/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.Please send me the size of your painting, not including the frame. Do not remove from frame. Kind regards,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris,The painting is 26" wide by 24" high without the frame.Best regards,
"Serge Trubach ( Ernest Sergi Trubach ) was born in the Ukraine, Russia in 1907. As a young man he immigrated to the U.S. where he established his studio in New York City. Awarded a scholarship, he studied at the National Academy of Design and later went on to further studies at the Cooper Union and Beaux- Art in New York. He was a member of the avant garde Secessionist Group along with Hans Hoffman, Wilem de Kooning and Arshile Gorky.For several years during the depression Trubach painted murals and easel paintings as part of the WPA Federal Arts Project ( including several federal buildings and a mural for the Central Park Police Station ) and exhibited at the WPA Municipal Art Gallery. As a member of the Artist's Union he was a strong advocate for increased federal support for the arts: Trubach exhibited at the prestigious at the National Academy in 1928 and 1929 and won prizes for both years at the N.A., and was awarded the Mooney Traveling Fellowship in 1929.Exhibitions include:1938 Carnegie Institute of Art1938, 1946 Pennsylvania Museum of Fine Art1939 Corcoran Gallery of Art1939 New York World's Fair1939 Golden Gate Exposition1946 Virginia Museum of Fine Arts1946 Nierendorf Gallery1946 Art of This Century ExhibitionTrubach works are represented in numerous private and public collections including The Biro-Bidjan Museum of Art (Russia): Hunter College Museum: Barnard College: Harvard College: Mt Morris Hospital, New York: Bolinas Museum of Art: Port Chester, New York Jr High School Collection: Theodore Roosevelt High School: (murals): Smithsonian. Member:Artist's Union Group: Secessionist Group: Allied Artists of America: Rockport Artists Group: United American Artists: Relief Art Project (WPA). In his later years Trubach varied his style from experimenting with Modernist flat frontal design imagery to expressionist semi-abstract and non objective abstractions."Sources include:Who Was Who in American Artopen internet sources When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of$1248. If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -Try ads on sites such ashttps://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-arthttp://www.rubylane.com/arthttp://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspxhttps://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=linkhttp://www.artvalue.comhttp://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artworkSome like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.Or list with no fees whatsoever:http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Hi there!I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?Let me know,Kind regards,Doris
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser