Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an oil painting by Karen Griffiths I need to verify

Customer Question
her signature how can I...
I have an oil painting by Karen Griffiths I need to verify her signature how can I do that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
4/16/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. I can only take one item per question.I will take the Mary Prince print.Please tell me if the print is numbered.Kind regards,Doris
I also need photos of the print and the signature.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.Kind regards,Doris
The Adler Royal Cabinet factory was based in Louisville, KY. Its parent company - the Adler Manufacturing Co was based in NYC.Your 1920s Adler cabinet was originally made as a radio cabinet. It has been altered for modern use.It has a retail vintage value of $650-750. The Mitchell furniture display cabinet was made 1920s-1940."The firm of Mitchell and Rammelsburg was perhaps the best known of the Cincinnati Victorian furniture makers. ***** ***** came to Cincinnati in 1829, an Irish immigrant intent on making his mark. After apprenticing himself to established cabinetmakers, he struck out on his own in 1836, eventually forming a partnership that would last until almost the end of the century. Mitchell’s counterpart was Frederick Rammelsburg, one of the thousands of German immigrants who settled in Cincinnati during a great wave of 19th-century settlement.Their factory, at the corner of John and Columbia streets, was purportedly the first in Cincinnati to employ steam-powered machinery for cutting and ripping wood, while the firm employed an army of skilled carvers for fine handwork. By 1870, the company used 30 steam-powered woodworking machines, covered two acres and employed 250 workers who churned out an enormous amount of furniture.Rammelsburg died in 1863, but the firm continued under the partnership’s name until 1867, then under Mitchell’s sole name until 1940. Throughout his long and successful career he exercised constant and close personal supervision over the details in his business, both in the sprawling factory and the amazing and often written about flagship store. He was incessantly and watchfully interested in the continued success of his company. In doing so, he was routinely among the first to test and then adopt every new method or invention intended to improve the quality of his furniture."Source: Apartment Therapy This Mitchell display cabinet has a retail vintage store value of $950-1050. Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.If you would like to sell close to retail , some ideas are:The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.Artfire.comBonanza.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAThese sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.GoAntiques.comRubylane.comTias.comcyberattic.comtrocadero.comA private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me. When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value. Using this standard method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of$250-300 for your still life by Aurora Grace Kavner. If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -Try ads on sites such ashttps://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-arthttp://www.rubylane.com/arthttp://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspxhttps://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=linkhttp://www.artvalue.comhttp://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artworkSome like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.Or list with no fees whatsoever:http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_ID=2A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.Kind regards.DorisIf you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.Thank you.
The site is having issues.I apologize but I not really sure what is happening.Please ignore last two responses about an Aurora Grace Kavnar painting and the other one about the furniture.I truly am sorry for the problems.Please answer my questions about your Karen Griffiths painting. It is important that you do not rate me until I have answered your question completely. Kind regards,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris, you had requested for me to send you photo of the painting and Karen Griffiths signature. I did send them to you but I'am not sure if you received them.
No, I did not receive your photos.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.Kind regards ***** ***** truly appreciate your patience,Doris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris, I sent the Karen Griffiths Painting and photo of signature, did you receive them?
As I mentioned in my introduction, I can only take one item per question.I chose Mary Prince, not Karen Griffiths.I am sorry for the confusion of the site issues.I will opt-out here. This releases your question for other pros to answer.I cannot respond to any further comments here, once I opt-out.I hope you find the information you are looking for.Kind regards,Doris
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 1 year ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hello, mt name is***** am a certified appraiser. I would be happy to help you on this. Could you post a few photos of this painting and signature. I will need a clear close up of the signature so I may look it over nad match it to her signatures for authentication. I will need to see the overall painting to gain subject matter. I look forward to seeing this and helping you.
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser