Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

What do you think of my painting? Robert S.Whether he or

Customer Question

What do you think of my painting? Robert S.
Whether he or one of his students, this is a Godfried Schalcken, Dutch 1643-1706.. Looks like a signature in the bottom left side, can barely make out a "ch." About 10 by 8 inches. It is filthy and cracking. Looks like someone has tried o clean it at some point in its life and damaged it as there is a drip and rubbed place above the boy's head. Do you know of anyone around the Atlanta area that is trustworthy to clean it? If not, I will call the High Museum and ask them. Do you know how much I should expect to pay?
There is another of this pose on ebay right now. It is such poor quality, and they want $2,500. I think they are crazy.
I love the faces in my painting, they mesmerize me like some of the paintings at the High, when I am fortunate to get someone to go with me.
Thank you for any insight you can offer.
Katie Hale
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never mind about the "ch." I think it is just cracks and dirt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, never mind about this painting. It seems that this pose was used for teaching, so 99.9% possibility that it is from a student. As such, it would not be valuable enough to have it cleaned, am I right? Guess I'll just let it hang on my wall. Katie
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Katie,This is Robert here, sorry not to get to your question sooner, but now that I have, I give it my full and prompt attention.You are right, this is almost certainly a later copy.Leave this with me and I'll do a little research just to confirm its age if I can and I'll get back to you with a full answer.And yes, unless you are going to keep it, it probably would not be economically viable to restore it.More soon,Best wishes,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't worry about it. I'll just keep it like it is and enjoy it. Thanks. Katie