Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have two silver miniature Owls with the initials E M in

Customer Question
the lower right corner....
I have two silver miniature Owls with the initials E M in the lower right corner. Can you tell me what this means and its value?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/24/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only one picture that came with your original inquiry (the bottom).

The next step would be for me to see pictures of the owls that I can get visual clues of the date and value.

Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!

I will have to opt-out and allow another expert to answer as these are not familiar to me, nor is the mark. The next expert will see our conversation and photos. Good luck!

Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Good morning,

I just wanted to let you know I also searched extensively but can't find any record of this maker's mark.

Jennifer

Antique Expert: Diana F., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to see if I can help.

.

Can you tell me what size they are?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, the Owls are 1 1/2" in length and 1" wide.
Elaine

Hi Elaine. Just out of curiosity, how long have you had it? The reason I ask is because I found copies of your figurines but everything points toward them not being very old.

.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I purchased them recently from a thrift store. The merchandise is usually from estates or the elderly. Because of the initials on the bottom, I was wondering if those were British silver marks.
Elaine

Hi Elaine. Unfortunately not. That could be a maker's mark, but british hallmarks usually include more than just 2 initials. I suspect they were bought within the last 15 years or so. You might have them tested, but I think they are actually pewter.

.

I'll attach a picture that shows you what I found. It looks to be an exact copy of the two you have. The size matches too.

.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Where did you find it and how much is it worth? Thank you.
Elaine

Hi Elaine.

.

It's sold at various places, but it's mostly found in museum giftshops. I found one at the Getty museum giftshop and another at the British Museum giftshop. I did also find a few individual people selling copies and a few people reselling copies they had bought from someone else. The earliest I could trace them back was about 2005. Odds are it's not much older than that. There's no record of which company they used to make them, but they probably were produced by a factory and then sold wholesale to the giftshops.

.

The owl represents the Greek goddess Athena's owl. The owl represents wisdom and knowledge and The figure is actually a little replica of the owl that was depicted on a silver tetradrachm coin (I'll post a picture of that for you too). Originally it was used in Athens around 5th century B.C. and was used off and on for years.

.

The little figures aren't worth much, unfortunately, but they're still worth about $10 to $15 each. They're cute little pieces.

.

If you decide you want to sell them....prices will vary a bit depending on the condition and where you try to sell them. Online markets (like Ebay) and garage sales tend to go for far less than the actual value.

.

Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores, but they generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers.

.

http://www.bonanza.com, GoAntiques and Artfire are great up and coming sites as well. I would say Etsy would be great for something like this, but they do have a rule that vintage items are supposed to be 20 yrs old and I think these just miss the cut. Between you and me, I don't think anyone would catch it if you did sell them there.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great day.
~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good evening Diana F., I have what I believe to be an original water color painting. I say this because when I rub my hand across the painting it is not smooth and also there are a couple of water marks on it. How can I tell if it is or isn't. Photos attached. Artist is Edgar Degas
Thank you,
Elaine

Hi Elaine.
That is more than likely a print on canvas. They are printed on a textured sort of board that makes it seem like a real painting. The painting is called The Star - Dancer on the Stage. It was originally a pastel drawing on paper that Degas did in 1878. It's currently in the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. It was never a painting. That looks like a poster/print version on a textured board. It probably dates from around the midcentury. Most of these are worth about $25 to $50 depending on the condition.

.

I really wish I could say it was the real thing, but Degas only produced the one.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good day Diana, the pictured item I have attached was purchased about a year ago. I would describe it as being a Asian framed sculpture, material unknown. It has a sticker on the back made in China. It's measurements are 14" wide inside the frame and 20" long inside the frame. What do you think it is?
Thank you,
Elaine
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser