Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

We have an antique ox yoke that is approximately 4 feet and

Customer Question

We have an antique ox yoke that is approximately 4 feet long and has double wood rungs and a metal ring in the middle. It is in good shape. My parents had it above their fireplace at one point in time.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your nice antique ox yoke.

Thanks for the excellent photo, I can see exactly what you have.

This is a late 19th century example of a withers yoke (because it fits over the withers, located just above the shoulder of the animal) almost certainly American, with good original bentwood collars.

The most collectible of these are those that have their old paint.

This example, for instance, of similar age but with desirable original blue paint, sold at auction for $200 which is about right for one like this.

Yours would sell at auction in the range of $120 - $180.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of about $350.

This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert