Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I inherited a sterling silver tea set--5 pc--my parents

Customer Question

I inherited a sterling silver tea set--5 pc--my parents purchased in England in approximately 1952 from the Silver Vaults in London.
The pieces have a purity of .925 and were made in London during the reign of Queen Victoria. The maker's mark is a diamond with the initials RM over EM. The set comprises a tea pot, hot water pot on a stand, a coffee pot, and sugar and cream pitchers.
I need to have this valued for insurance/estate purposes.
Thank you.
Nicole Whitenight
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nicole,

Thank you for the great description and the one photo. Please add one photo of the whole set and one photo of the mark on one piece. By looking at this mark and the shapes around the symbols and letters, I can date the set and determine the maker for you, which helps in the valuation as well.

Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures. If you are unable to photograph the marks clearly, you can do a rough drawing and photograph that. In order to be sterling (925) there should be a lion and a letter in their own shapes near that maker mark.

I can finish my answer for you once I have all of this additional information.